Tuesday, December 06, 2005

hiccoughs

I blundered through another Russian lesson, then I walked with my tutor around the corner to the drug store where they make copies (I needed ch’s 10 and 11). There was a very tall man with awful posture. His spine must have been shaped like a ski. He came in and stood silently for a few minutes, then hiccoughed. It was loud and high, and threw his shoulders back on his frame for a moment. The frequency of the hiccoughs increased during our time there, so that when we left, the poor man could hardly say “excuse me” before the next one overtook him. He seemed thoroughly ashamed of himself. I very much wonder what he bought. If he wants a good scare, I know a street that's slippery enough to make a brave man squeal - the problem is that it could cure hiccoughs, but he'd probably have to go to the hospital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home