Tuesday, March 15, 2005

old news, from December, nothing happened

I have been informed that a certain illness has entered my village through wolves and foxes. But the foxes are yellow. Oh, coyotes, now I understand. My host mother and sister told me at dinner: it seems that the coyotes and wolves from the outer villages have fallen ill and gone crazy and are coming into Podstyopnaya (or is it just one?) and biting people. When they bite people, the people come down with influenza. Then there was something that sounded like "the Kazakh school is making guarantees," which I think was a misunderstanding on my part. Maybe it was "the Kazakh school is taking bets." I bet on the old lady who throws stones at anything on four legs, thereby making enemies she wouldn't otherwise have. In view of this news, posted on the door of the post office/bank, My host mother told me not to walk across empty fields by myself - we'll see if I can avoid it for a while. If worse comes to worst, maybe raspberry jam would help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home