Tuesday, February 08, 2005

yep, they're mine

I am supposed to team teach with another English teacher on Tuesdays, but she was sick today, so I had to take the classes alone. We've been working on "If" clauses for a while, and they're still difficult, mostly because many of our grammar structures have no equivalent in Kazakh, then there's real and unreal stuff, etc.

So, I divided the class into two and told them to choose names and exchange threats using "if" clauses. They chose the Montagues and the Capulets. (Last year, they did Romeo and Juliet) "If you don't give us Juliet, we will smush you like worms!" "If you want to see tomorrow, you'll get off our land!" "If I were you, I wouldn't say that!" They weren't very quick on the retorts, but the general idea was there.

In keeping with the angst theme, the 8th graders listened to Mr.Big Stuff last Wednesday. They were supposed to write a letter to someone who annoyed them (without names and not to be read out loud in class) and to someone who made them happy. One girl, who was trying to knock out all the vocabulary in one sentence wrote:"Dear Mr. Donkey, You think you very important, but I think you arrogant, fancy."

You may have noticed my internet access has gotten much better. Yay!

1 Comments:

Blogger K8 said...

Hi, I've found your blog because you're the only other person out there who lists "banjo music" as an interest. How great :)

I also have a fun fact for you - I'm currently in grad school studying archaeology, and would you believe that my university is thinking about hiring an archaeologist who does research in Kazakhstan. Apparently there's some very cool work on early pastorlism being done over there...

February 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home