Wednesday, January 19, 2005

soon i'll be too old (25) to have children

Conversation in October: (Kazakh, with my seventh graders)
"That's a cool necklace!" said Zholoman about my locket. Leonara: "Put a photo of your boyfriend in it." The kids here are obsessed with love. "I don't have a boyfriend. I'm single." "You're single?" Zholoman, Leonara, Azamat. "How old are you?" "You can have a boyfriend in Almaty, in Uralsk, and in America," said Zholoman.

Conversation in December:
"Leonara says you're single!" [Maybe some pink lipstick could help you out with that] said Leonara's mother, trying to sell me Oriflame, the Mary Kay of Kazakhstan.

But it might be time to stop saying I'm single, since it's already been arranged that I will marry a host cousin and the post officer's son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home