Wednesday, March 02, 2005

concerts/wallpaper

As soon as I brag about my internet access, it cuts off. So I'm making no promises about frequency or consistency.

On Fridays, Damira is happy, and she turns the music loud and belly dances to Nelly and Tarkan (Turkish). But Women’s day is coming up, and there is a frenzy of preparation – every educational facility is having a concert, and my school is having two. So, everyone has been rehearsing dances and complaining about how there’s no good music, and the teachers all mention that the students want to do Arabski and Turetski dances, but not Kazakh dances. I have my theories about why that might be. The first concert was this afternoon, in honor of mothers. And my seventh grade boys were excused from English to practice their dance for Friday. Shatagul is preparing for her dance tomorrow, which involves her wearing a wedding dress and Kazakh vest thing at the same time, as well as one or two of my handkerchiefs.

Ah – hold on – my wallpaper just fell off again . . . . . Okay, it’s hopeless. Wallpapering my room is like wallpapering a cave. It just won’t stay on. I would just tear it off, but then the wall leaves objectionable pieces of plaster in my candle, bedsheets, etc. So I’ve been using masking tape for a while, but stronger methods are called for. I tried nails, but I don’t have a hammer. So, I first tried to push them in, but I only wiggled a hole, and it hurt my finger. Then, I used a little Christmas tree made of bells, which had a pleasant jingle, but was ineffective. The shoe didn’t work. The flowerpot did. But then, the damp wallpaper simply fell off the nails, and we’re back to tape. Lots of tape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home