Tuesday, March 15, 2005

in memorium

I was told today that one of Peace Corps’ administrators, Jan Funston, died. I was very sorry to hear of it. It was unexpected and, I’m sure, quite difficult for those who worked with her, as well as for all of us at our sites. As for me, she was someone I admired and liked. I remember how she listened to a ridiculous local diagnosis and remedy and was humble and gracious. She coughed and someone told her that she was sick because the door was open, something about doctors’ recommendations to keep all doors closed at all times and something about footwear, and perhaps the usual prescription of vodka. “Uh huh,” she said, without protest or condescension. She was a person who saw the direction things ought to take and helped equip other people for it. I believe she noticed and cared about the individuals, both volunteers and staff, in Peace Corps and was the most gung-ho of anyone. There are lots of Jan stories among us volunteers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home