Saturday, April 23, 2005

oblast volunteers

We have a lot of volunteers in this oblast. In the city proper, we have two women and a man (one is placed at a university and the two others are NGO volunteers) here now and two (NGO’s) coming. Near the city, there are three women working at secondary schools. I’m one of these. South on the Europe side of the Oral river, we have two volunteers in Chapayava, Mike and Amber. South on the Asia side of the river (via my village) is Tim D’s village, Akzhayiek. Southeast, also via my village, is Tim K’s village, Fydorovka. We will lose Mike and Angela in early June and get new volunteers in August. So the current status is four men, six women; in May, it will be four men, eight women, and in June, three men, seven women. It feels like a lot of Americans, not least because we hear so much about each other from locals. They know all about us, even if we’ve never visited the village. I hear when the other volunteers are sick through teachers, and some people I’ve met say hi to me from outlying villages through my students. They come in on Monday and say, “Cizge [insert name] salyemdacti, Susan.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home