Thursday, November 11, 2004

long time

I just got off the train about an hour and a half ago, not too much the worse for a long trip - about 30 hours. The way to Kuzlorda was mostly dark, since we had two nights on that trip. But the way back, I got to see the desert with the camel herds. The land is so flat that it looked like it was spinning as the train passed, the closer ground and camels moving left, while some distant low hills moved right. There were camels everywhere, sometimes in clumps walking easily away from the tracks, sometimes standing apart from each other. White camels, black camels, camel camels. There would be low grass, then pure sand, then sand with dune grasses, then sand again. I only saw a little water, and I saw several lakebeds white with salt - or something. It was pretty cool. Then I started getting a bit carsick, so I slept. I had a top bunk in a cabin with three other women and a kid. It's a bit odd to lock the door against the strangers outside the room when we're all strangers in the room, too. But they were all quite nice.

I'm going to go. I've got severe blog backup, but I hope to post some going backwards in time next time I have internet. I hope you're all doing well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home