Friday, September 24, 2004

give me please

It's always a shock to hear the English teachers here say "give me" when they want something. We're working on that. But, I would like stuff. KazPost is very good. They even lend you an indestructible, waterproof bag to take packages home in.

I again have ideas of things you all can send me, if inclined. The kids here only learn about England, Australia, America, and Canada. Even the teachers shoot blank looks when I mention the Carribbean, South Africa, Singapore, etc. I’d like to have some photos of as many English speaking countries as possible, but I can think mostly of things I know about that will never ever make it into one of these textbooks. In fact, when there are textbooks here, there are never photos. Only very bad drawings of people with slashes for eyes labled “Eskimo,” etc. Anyways, I made a list of things I want photos of, for those of you who have the time: An American meal (w/ place settings, food on plates, drinks other than tea, salads, maybe finger foods, food in separate sectionsof the plate); all areas of the US, such as Louisiana; all kinds of people, all professions, ethnicities, etc., oceans (most people here have never ever seen an ocean), different seasons, New Year, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, animals not in KZ: jays, goldfinches, robins, squirrels, racoons, possums, mustangs, longhorns, alligators, armadillos, porcupines, moose, etc.; a mall; a neighborhood. And if any of you are generous enough to send me books, I wish I had short books with more-or-less easy words that are not for babies. I thought of perhaps a collection of American folk tales, Many Moons, Tasha Tudor books, famous quotes.

Bad news - my computer is absolutely dead. Poor thing. Life is bitter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home